Mmmm Mmmm........ Good!

Why is it, when the air gets crisp and cool, I want more granola? Now, I eat granola 365 days a year. But in autumn, I crave it!

There are as many granola recipes as there are brands of cereal in the supermarket. But prepackaged cereals are over-priced, over-salted and over-sugared! So I make my own. Cheap, easy and delicious. I call it .......... Old People Granola!

4 c uncooked oatmeal (duh!! Can you imagine the mess with cooked oatmeal??)
1-1/2 c Wheat Germ (Old people ingredient number one!)
1 c shaved coconut (more fiber than grated)
1/4 c powdered milk (more calcium)
1/2 c flax meal (See! I told you .... old people granola!)
2 TBSP cinnamon (Yep! That's right and Saigon cinnamon is best)
1 TBSP brown sugar

Mix all the dried ingredients together.

Then microwave the following ingredients for 1 minute on high.

1/3 c canola oil
1/2 c honey .......... or 1/3 c agave nectar (its about twice the sweetness of honey and can easily be used by diabetics)
1 TBSP of vanilla

Stir into the dry ingredients until all the particles are coated.

Bake for 1 hour at 250 degrees. Or if you are in a real hurry -- 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

When it has cooled, add the fun ingredients. 1/2 c of dried fruit; 1/2 c of nuts; 1/2 c of sunflower seeds. Some people like sesame seeds in their granola -- I don't care for those. But dried cherries, craisins, raisins, and dates are some of my favorites. I use a mix of nuts at times -- almonds, pecans, walnuts (All have good oil for us old people!) And this time of year --- pumpkin seeds can be subbed for the sunflower seeds.

I love my granola with milk (when it gets as far as a bowl! Sometimes, its straight out of the tub!) but Honey likes granola for dessert in the evening. A bowl of yogurt topped with granola crunchiness!

So if colonoscopies and PSA tests are words you know the meaning of --- you may want to try my version of granola. Your doctor would be proud!

Comments

Farm-Raised said…
Mmm....so glad you posted this. Thank you!!! And let's talk about those eggs! Does this mean I can start giving your name to more people and organized pick-ups??

Talk soon!
Miss Effie said…
I'm still a little far behind but the new girls will be laying soon and that will be another dozen a day! Yea --- stay in touch!
Tammy said…
Yes, Thanks for posting this. I've copied it and have all the ingredients (except the flax meal) now, so hope to make up a batch next week while on vacation.
Tammy

Popular Posts