Weekend Update!


I know I should be cleaning the gardens, now that we have had our first hard freeze. But it was a beautiful weekend and Honey and I wanted to play. So play we did! We went to our favorite antique show!
I love this show. Its not a big show but really has some quality dealers. Its the Camp Courageous Antique show in Monticello, Iowa. I know lots of the dealers -- there are great primitives. The booth right above is First Brick Antiques in Mount Vernon, IA. Cheri is awesome -- she is a spinner and of course, we had to discuss that! I should have taken a picture but she had the most beautiful hand-knit bedspread.......... all lace knit.
This fuzzy moth-eaten thing is a muff. I can only hope it is the fate of the fox that is stalking my yard!!!! The gal wanted $10 for it. Not coming home with this girl!!!! I'm hoping I can get her another one for her collection! So Mr. Fox, if you are reading this .......... Look at your future!!!

Ok -- time for my buys!!
From Cheri, I bought the two pieces of old lace. I love old lace and one piece is almost 8' long. It will be used to trim an apron or on guest towels for the bathroom.

The wooden knitting needles were ......$3.00!!! Yea!! Old -- beautiful -- perfect and cheap!!!

And then there is the darning egg...... First thing I spotted when I walked in the show. From Smokehouse Antiques in Amana, IA........ hand-turned Amana made darner! Yes!! Old black paint-- good wear --unusual shape. Notice its ball-shape, not egg shape as most. And when you have as many as I do.....you realize how rare it is. An excellent addition to my collection. And I even use them!

Other weekend events included a visit to the Freight House Farmers Market. Now an indoor market -- it will be open every Saturday from 8am to 1pm. I'll be able to get my fix of farm fresh veggies and home-baked goods.

And finally, Saturday has become Souper Saturday. We have been inviting friends to join us for homemade soup. Last week, we had roasted butternut squash soup. Last night it was homemade vegetable beef soup with barley. It has been lots of fun -- very relaxing -- and very healthy eating.

So I wanted to show off the table setting. Doesn't this scream Iowa Farmhouse?? The plates are part of a set I inherited from my aunt over 30 years ago. The pattern is "Bride of the Barnyard" but they are known as the "chicken dishes". I was destined to raise hens!!!!
Time to go -- I have played too much. Time to start some supper.

Comments

Rayna said…
Antiques you use are the BEST! Found you from Corinne's blog.. :)

Popular Posts