In search of................

I have this neighbor .... who will remain nameless .... that is frugal! Now -- I really admire frugal. I wish I was frugal. I have become "damn cheap"!

So my dear sweet frugal neighbor goes to the grocery store one day and the store has over-bought pumpkin. 29 oz cans of name-brand pumpkin are on sale for 25 cents per can. So she buys a can or two or...............sixty!

I'd make fun of her -- but note, I am the woman that planted 70 tomatoes for our own use and am worried about running out of canned tomatoes!!!

She kindly shared her bargains ......and being cheap, I was the proud owner of 8-29 oz cans of pumpkin. Now -- I might use 8-29 oz cans of pumpkin in 8-12 years. But the price was right so I can figure out what to do with 8 cans of pumpkin.

Pumpkin pie immediately comes to mind as does a wonderful recipe for sour cream pumpkin strusel cake. But both recipes have a widening effect on my butt. So I will skip them.

So what to do with all this pumpkin??

I have found a great cookie recipe to share .... ya might like it. We did. I have no idea on fat or calorie count but its really not too sweet.

So, here we go........ Pumpkin Oatmeal Drop Cookies

3/4 c butter
1-1/2 c sugar.

Cream butter and sugar

Add 1 c pumpkin
2 eggs
1 tsp.vanilla

And mix thoroughly.

Then sift together (Which mind you, I never do!)
1-1/2 c all-purpose flour (I used 1/2 c of whole wheat flour and 1 c all-purpose)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves.

And stir this into the creamed mixture.

Then it is goodie time!
1-1/2 c oatmeal
1/2 coconut
3/4 c chopped nuts
1/2 dried cranberries.

Bake at a 375 oven for 12 minutes.

Now the recipe says it makes 6 dozen. Not the size that I make. I got not-quite 5 dozen.

Good, healthy and it uses some pumpkin!

Comments

~*Sarah*~ said…
lol...she's not frugal, she's a Chapdelaine! We come by it honestly. It ingrained in our psyche.

and those cookies sound amazing. And go figure...I'm out of pumpkin. (Eddie used the 2 cans we got already) :)
Miss Effie said…
I know where you just might find some!!!!!

They are really good. I was actually kind of surprised when I first made them -- very moist and tasty -- you just don't know what the taste is really.
Crosswinds Farm said…
What kind of a nut job buys 60 cans of pumpkin??? Boy, you have some crazy neighbors.....I might have to try that recipe, like, say, if I had a bunch of pumpkin to use up or something.
Michelle said…
I use homegrown and frozen pumpkin puree, which is not as thick as the store-bought stuff, but we have been enjoying Spicy Pumpkin Muffins a lot this winter. Email me if you'd like the recipe. I'd bet they are even better for you than the cookies!
Claire MW said…
Oh, pumpkin soup is awesome! Definitely do some pumpkin soup, with ginger in it. mmmmmmmmmm.....
Carol said…
After you looked at my pumpkin and asked how I used it, I quickly glancing at your blog thought, she found me a cookie recipe! I had to buy another pumpkin at the market this morning, just so I can try out the cookie recipe! Thanks so much. Also, on delish.com, there is a good pumpkin oatmeal muffin recipe that I make about once a week. I did reduce the amount of oil to 1/4 c., I think. No 60 cans of pumpkin in Budapest - only pumpkin, fresh in the market.

Popular Posts