Local Yolk-el ...................


I seem to get a lot of questions about eating local ....... particularly in the winter. And yes, there are challenges. I don't find local bananas in Iowa. And I have a tendency to crave artichokes......... a lot!

But we do eat a lot totally local meals and I have decided to drop in -- give you a recipe -- and maybe inspire you to talk to your local farmers.

Last night was spinach salad with poached eggs. Awesome recipe. First of all -- I love salads. I can eat a salad for every single meal. Honey ...... not so much! Yea -- I love a good steak. Pasta is my friend. But a salad................yummmm.

I'm hearing some of you. You said this meal was going to be local. And I see spinach ... in Iowa... in February. Rushing to my rescue were my friends from Nostalgia Farms. Ed and Joe have been growing greens in their high tunnels (like many of our farmer friends) So last week, I got the call in hushed tones ............ "Clink, there is spinach. The drop will be at the Freight House Farmers Market." Ahhh......... I'm there.

Ok ... back to the recipe.

1/2 c white wine vinegar
4 large beautiful, free-range fresh eggs (OK -- those are my eggs!) --poached
6-8 strips of bacon - diced -- again LOCAL!!!
1 shallot (or 1/2 of a med red onion diced)
12 oz of spinach
salt and pepper.

Fry the bacon in the skillet over medium heat. When cooked, remove and drain and in the same skillet cook the shallot (or onion) until soft........ about 2 minutes. Add the white wine vinegar and boil on high heat until reduced by about half. Season with salt and pepper.

Toss the spinach with bacon and hot vinaigrette -- divide on to plates and top with a poached egg. Notice -- there are two eggs on the plate. I love poached eggs. I deserved two!!!

Simple easy meal ......... and its local. Check it out!

Comments

girlwithasword said…
Dammit Clink. It's NO FAIR you teasing us locavores with your green stuff in the middle of winter!!!!

Popular Posts