A is for apple, B is for Band-aid .........


So who knew cooking could be so dangerous???

My dear friend and neighbor, Sheepie Neighbor makes an awesome pie. Her pantry is filled with jars of apple pie filling. Me ....... I'm a ala' mode type girl.

Yep .... forget making the crust........ just give me the ice cream and filling!!! (Has nothing to do with the world-wide-known fact ---- I make a lousy pie crust!!)

One year, after a bumper crop of apples, I was searching for another way to use them. I had made jam and apple butter. I had canned and froze apples for baking. We dried apple snacks. And we squeezed and squeezed cider. Finally, I found the recipe for cinnamon apple ice cream topping.

My summer-weeder and friend Sarah has adventured into the world of canning. This has been a lot of fun for me. During the summer, we made dilly beans, canned tomatoes and yesterday, we made this. Sarah's husband Jamie wasn't too sure about it when I sent a jar home with her. But it quickly become a favorite so Sarah knew she wanted the recipe.

First on the agenda ........ peel, core and dice the apples. Sounds easy enough. After all -- I have this handy-dandy weapon!

Note to the inexperienced ..... do not place thumb under the peeling blade. (Why wasn't that warning on the box??) No ..... while removing a core that was stuck -- I decided a manicure was in order. A little creative use of the peeler......... YIKES!!!! And Lord knows, I am not going to endure another medical bill! So few backstitches with mauve embroidery floss and a french-knot or two, I will be as good as new!

So onto the recipe.........
Cinnamon Apple Ice Cream Topping (Canned)

7 cups sliced peeled apples
3 cups sugar
1/3 cup water
2 Tbsp lemon juice
3/4 tsp cinnamon

Heat lemon juice for one minute. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a full rolling boil. Stir constantly for 3 minutes. Fill hot jars, leaving a 1/4" headspace. And Process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes. Makes approximately 4 pints.

Yep ... its good and if your trees are bending from the weight of apples, this might be a nice treat. Next item on the list --- apple pie jam. And Honey is doing the peeling!

Comments

Theresa said…
and C is for careful! Aren't those peelers spiteful things!
Thank you for the recipe, looks delicious. Too bad we have smell-o-vision! :-)

Popular Posts