R-E-S-P-E-C-T......................

Sing it, Sista' Aretha!!!!

Ok -- this is a rant.  If you don't want to hear me rant, please turn away from the page.

I am a Democrat.

There.  I said it.

I believe strongly in social justice.  I happen to be what is a rare-bird at this point in time.... a Blue-Dog Democrat.  Social Justice ... Fiscal Responsibility.  I believe they can work together. Not sure how .... but I think they can.

I have never shied away from my political beliefs but I will not cram them down your throat.

They are my political beliefs.  Like the clothes I wear.  The flowers I plant.  The life that I live.  They are my beliefs.  Although, occasionally I may share them .... they are still mine.

And I don't expect you to agree with them.  Any more than you would wear my clothes or or live my life.

You believe what you want to believe.  I believe what I want to believe.

 This is America.  And I thought political freedom came with religious freedom.

Yesterday .... I was "un-friended" by a "friend" because I told them that I was going to see the President of the United States.

It was a statement.
Not an invitation.
Just "I-am-going."

I'm going to see the leader of the free world and I am getting "un-friended".

And I am pissed.

Which leads me to my rant.

The vile hateful language that spews from Washington DC politicians and pundits .... is seeping into my peaceful, wonderful, friendly Midwest.

And I am tired of it.

It's not new.  Hamilton and Burr dueled over political differences.  And, once in a while, I wish dueling was still legal  in DC again so the political spin-doctors would realize what their hateful, out-of-context, out-of-control lies are doing to this country!!!

And I am not taking sides on that statement!!! It is happening on both sides of the aisle.

Over the next 90 some days, I will share with you a part of my life.

It is not a campaign commercial.  It is not a plea to join me.

It is a statement.
It is a part of my life.
It is who I am.

Like knitting, spinning, canning tomatoes, growing flowers and going to church.  It is part of me.  I have worked for a lot of campaigns in my life since 18 year-olds got the right to vote in 1972.  I will continue doing it.

I always thought that getting involved in the political process was just being a good citizen.

I will respect and honor your views.  I hope you will do the same.

You will not see political signs in my yard when I am open for business.  You will not see bumper stickers on my car.  I  might wear a "I was there Day One" t-shirt from the 1988 Gary Hart campaign.

If I could get into it. :)

Respect ............. pass it on.












Comments

Susan said…
Sorry this happened! I totally agree that we should all respect each others opinions. I think it is so cool that you are seeing the president!
Michelle said…
I've never heard of Blue-Dog Democrats, but I think that must be what I am!
Well said. I'm a social justice Dem as well. I've been getting beat up lately on networking sites and I'm getting a little tired of it. My beliefs are the result of a lifetime of experience and I research each and every issue thoroughly before I choose a position. Too much ugliness out there right now. I just want to vote and get it over with.
Anonymous said…
thank you. this world is too small and our lives to short to let politics ruin any chance at friendship we have - because I know the a lost friendship never truly heals.
Barb said…
THANK YOU!!!! (that is all)
One of the many things I like about you Miss Effie!
Anonymous said…
My jaw has hit the floor after reading this story.

We all have choices – what will we wear in the morning, what will we eat, what car will we drive, etc. All you are asking is that when someone makes a choice, that the choice will be respected by others. So you choose to be a Democrat and all you’re asking is that this “friend” respects that. Your friend also has a choice. Your friend chose to no longer be your friend.

So yes, my jaw has hit the floor, but not for the reason you assume. You entitle a post “R-E-S-P-E-C-T” where you rant about people not giving proper respect to the choices or opinions of others, but you and your friend are on equal playing fields. You are not giving this friend any more respect than he/she is giving you. If you’d like to give the same respect that you expect, you never would have retold this story. You would have respected this person’s choice and moved on.

Respect is earned, not demanded.
Michelle said…
My, what a shallow life I'd lead if I only chose to be friends with people who agreed with my politics/religion/etc.! But apparently that's the kind of life your former "friend" and the second "anonymous" are most comfortable with. And she's right; she has every right to choose such a narrow-minded existence! The "talking heads" depend on people like them for their audiences, and society continues to become more polarized....
Anonymous said…
I don’t care the outcome of this particular “friendship.” I was speaking about respect and stated that it’s very hard for a person to have credibility when in one breath respect is requested and in the very next breath the very same person is being disrespected. However, you made my point perfectly. I disagree with you, so you disrespect me and say that I live a shallow life.
Michelle said…
Uh, no, I can't "disrespect" you; I don't even KNOW you. I said that I (as in ME, not YOU) would feel my life would be shallow if that is how I chose my friendships and associations. It may not feel shallow to you at all; so be it.

I don't understand why someone would choose to read Cathy's blog and then criticize her opinion. Don't like her opinion? Don't read her blog! There are lots of blogs whose tone you would like ever so much more, I'm sure. Choose what makes you happy. I do! (I also choose to be known, not "anonymous." Seems more honest that way.)
Miss Effie said…
Dear Anonymous #2 ...

I have always had a problem with the phrase "Respect is earned, not demanded." I guess I believe that respect is the foundation of any relationship ... whether it is husband/wife, parent/child, teacher/student.

I'll probably make you made at this one too .... but let's replace "respect" with the Golden Rule. Do unto others what you would have done unto you.

Miss Eff
I will see you there on Wednesday. Peace!
Dan Mays said…
Somehow, I just think that music says it so much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS3MX9WxUUw

Popular Posts