Nesting .............

Autumn is approaching fast.




It can't come soon enough to suit me!

I am soooooo over summer!!!

I am ready for warm sweaters, crackling fires, savory soups and fuzzy slippers.

But more than anything else ......... I'm ready to decorate!

Yea .... I want to nest.

This is a first for me in a long long time.  After 10 years and $70,000 of out-of-pocket medical expenses --- we have NO medical bills!

None!!!

Zilch!!!

Zip!!!

At one time, 19.6% of our income went to pay medical expenses.  That didn't include medical insurance or prescription co-pays.  Straight out of pocket expenses.

But we have whittled and whittled and whittled.  It hasn't been fun .... and it sure wasn't pretty!!!!

But they are over, done, paid for ..... and we didn't declare bankruptcy!!!

So ..... I am decorating.

Sort of.




OK -- I have to go at this slowly!

First of all, after 7 years of plywood floor in the bathroom .... I will have a new - honest-to-gosh- real floor!

Yep -- ordered and in ..... I went with old-fashioned true linoleum.

Linoleum is made with limited petroleum products and is considered a "green" floor.   They last forever! Super easy to clean.  And is a fairly historically correct product for this house.

Yes ..... there wouldn't have been a bathroom in the house when it was built in 1892.  But when the bath was added in the late 40's ...... linoleum would have been the flooring of choice.

We are doing some touch-up painting  and then the floor will be installed.

You knew about the shades I ordered for the family room.  I am hoping they will help cool the room in the summer and maybe block some of the cold wind in the winter.

I ordered new curtains for the kitchen.  The current lace curtains were recycled from the living room.  After 17 years .... I'm not sure if they will survive another laundering.  So I ordered these.

And so .... some dreams have come true.

Now ...... what can I do about this one?????

Comments

Shannah said…
For the ceiling tiles, perhaps embossed wallpaper painted with a silver paint?

Though I'm not certain putting wallpaper on the ceiling would be a fun task!
Unknown said…
Oh, you decorating maven, you! I bet you are having fun.

Only advice I can give you on the GORGEOUS ceiling you desire: save those pennies...uhh, or win the lotto? :)

Hugs! Miss you and The Honey!
Dan Mays said…
I not at all sure that you should be thinking about that type of tin ceiling in a vintage farmhouse. Somehow, I just don't think that it is appropriate.

I always connote tin ceilings with old businesses and especially, old bars -- not exactly very homey.

To me, the design question is always, "What (and where) do you wish to draw attention to?"

Popular Posts