Political Rant Ahead ..............

I swore I wasn't going to talk politics ever ever again.

But again .... I was wrong and I can no longer keep my mouth shut.  If you have known me for any length of time ... you know that to be true.  I wasn't called Chatty Cathy for nothing!

I grew up attending and belonging to a small Presbyterian church. 

Note ... Presbyterian.  The same denomination as the leading Republican Presidential candidate.

Now .... I have to admit that the Presbyterian Church has a tendency to be more liberal than many other denominations.   In 1971, the Presbyterian Church donated $10,000 to Angela Davis's defense for her trial. Maybe not the best use of church funds but in light of the 1960's racial struggles and some of the inequities across the country ..... the leaders of the national presbytery made the decision.

But back to my story .........

I am remember at the age of four .... walking into a brown shingled church and down the stairs to the basement.  I am not sure what the smell was .... but there was a smell that was distinctly "church".

The furnace was tucked into the corner.  And on the back wall, there were cupboards that held Sunday School papers and communion supplies.

There was a large sandbox with toys.  And flannel boards that told the stories of Moses and Daniel and Jonah.

And there were the hymns.

And the very first song I learned was this ..................

 
 Jesus loves the little children
All the children of the world
Red and yellow, black and white
They're all precious in His sight
Jesus loves the little children of the world


Yep.

Red and yellow, black and white.

Not white only.  Not yellow only.  Not black only.  Not red only.

Red and yellow, black and white. 

Jesus loves the little children of the world.

In this fantastic country of ours.  In the year 2016 .... we have a whole bunch of "Christians" threatening to "carpet bomb" women and children.  We have candidates threatening people because of their religion and now, hate groups are endorsing candidates with little or no reaction from the candidate.

It is time to go back to Sunday School.

And listen.

And learn.

And love.

(Please don't leave ANY comments.  Whether positive or negative, all comments will be deleted.  I just want you to think.  And to sing the first hymn you learned.  You need to decide if your vote matches the faith that you had as a child.)





 


Comments

Popular Posts