Okay. Okay. Okay.

Yes ...... it is April 19.

And maybe you haven't heard from me for a while.

Will you accept the excuse that the dog ate my homework???

No????

Well .... I don't have anything new to show you about the kitchen.  It is spring and all thoughts go directly to the garden.

YEA!!!!!!!

I am now in my happy space.

And now that I have a head groundskeeper full time!!!  (Squeal with delight!!!!!!) Things are coming along nicely.

So it is time for some of the great unveiling ........ new flowers that are coming to a garden near me!!!   Just for your picking pleasure.

First of all ....... gypsophilia paniculata.
(Say whaaaatttt?????)


file photo



Baby's breath.  (Yea ..... you know that one!)
I just finished planting 125 perennial plants of this beauty.  I love baby's breath but it has a few drawbacks.

It is a perennial with a fairly short bloom period.  It should bloom in late June for about 2 weeks.  About the same time period as the lilies.  And then it is done for the season.  Kaput! Finished! Asta la vista, baby!!

It has an extremely long tap root so let's hope I planted in a space that it will thrive because transplanting it is next to impossible once it is established.

I just happened to get two new lisianthus this year ..... Can you hear my heart sing????????????????





file photo




This is a fringed apricot lisianthus.  It should be a beauty!!

And then ....... there is this one... Lisianthus Cherry Sorbet.



file photo



Yea ..... I love lisianthus because it reminds me of roses.

Yea .... roses.

OK .... since we were so rudely attacked by Japanese Beetles, I have let any roses left in my garden die a merciful death.  Most were tea roses that I loved.  But the one remaining rose was a David Austin English rose.  I love the full, fluffy look of English roses.

We have resolved some of the Japanese Beetle issues .... basically, the hoards have moved further west in the state.  The last three years have been relatively pest free.

So I called David Austin and started replenishing my roses again.

Some will be shrub type roses like this one, Mayflower.



David Austin photo


All of my roses will be in mixed beds ...... but a few of these will be in my garden by the house.



David Austin photo



Charlotte is planted around the little gazebo ...... it is surrounded with phlox, lilies and delphiniums.




photo from Pinterest


This is Winchester Cathedral ...... it will be near my chicken coop.  I do hope the girls appreciate all I do for them.  (wink. wink.)

Now that I have a full time head groundskeeper!!!  (I still delight saying that!!) the arbor that blew down during a bad storm will be replaced at the entrance of the main cutting garden.  I bought this rose .... Teasing Georgia ..... to grow over the top of it.



David Austin photo



My grandmother, Georgia, loved her roses.  In the summer time, you could open her refrigerator and it would be filled with bottles and jars of roses cut from her garden.

So it only seems right that Teasing Georgia will be the rose that will be most prominent in the garden.

All of these roses are on their own root stock (except Teasing Georgia) and will handle a zone 4 winter ...... even if I am in zone 5.

That is what is new in the garden .... at least for today.  I always keep a few secrets.

Yea .... I do.  I really do keep a few secrets.

;)

(I'll spill more of the beans later!)









Comments

Popular Posts