Getting Greener

I have been trying to add more and more salads and greens in my diet.

This is one of my favorite. I think it is Spring in a bowl. And this year, as we have yet another April snow storm forecasted, we need more Spring in a bowl. 2018 .... the winter that will never end.

As there are no really recipes for salads, I will share what I throw together.

First ... I do a nice spring mix blend of greens. These were harvested from our cold frame.  Yea ... that makes me sooo happy. As we still are learning how to make the most of our cold frame, today's harvest was a win.

I blanch 1 pound of asparagus that has been cut into 2" pieces. After blanching it for 2 minutes, I plunge into ice water. Dry it well and add to the bowl of greens.

A thinly sliced red onion (about 1/4) and some sliced radishes (also from my cold frame!) add a little heat.

The grated zest of one lemon and shaved  parmesan cheese finish the salad.

I often forget how easy it is to make salad dressings as I grab another bottle of Ranch dressing.  That bottle of dressing is filled with multi-syllable words and tons of preservatives.

Did you know that Ranch dressing is considered a food group in the Midwest? Yep ... fruits and veggies, grains, meats, oils and fats and Ranch salad dressing.

Well .... let's try to walk away on that one.

I have filled my cupboard with flavored olive oils and vinegars. One of my favorite is a gremolata oil ... a mix of garlic, lemon and parsley. It is the basis of this dressing.

I do a simple ratio .... 1/3 acid and 2/3 oil.
I start with squeezing the lemon and add white wine vinegar if necessary. One minced clove of garlic and a teaspoon of dijon mustard add a little more flavor, along with a little salt and pepper to taste. Add the 2/3 gremolata olive oil and shake.

Finally ... taste the dressing and add a teaspoon of sugar or honey if the taste is too sharp.

I think it is the lemon zest or the asparagus ... but the result is a fresh light salad that is worth a try.

And if enough of us try this .... maybe Spring will finally come.

Maybe.

Comments

Popular Posts