Butternut Squash Soup Recipe......

Ok -- Here is my recipe for Butternut Squash Soup. I love this soup. It is perfect when its consistency is like velvet. I use Fat free evaporated milk for the cream at the end .... but I have heard of Fat Free Half & Half and that should be awesome in it!!!

Cut one large butternut squash in half. Rub the cut sides with olive oil and season with salt, pepper and thyme. Cut the very top off a head of garlic. Place in a foil-lined roasting pan and pour olive oil it. Place the squash in the pan cut side down. Roast for 45-60 minutes until very very tender. Cool slightly so it is easily handled and scoop the flesh from the shell.

In the meantime, heat 2 to 3 cups of chicken stock. Puree the roasted garlic and the squash with a cup or so of chicken stock. And to the rest of the stock and heat thoroughly. Finish it off with a little more salt and pepper and drizzle cream in it.

I use stored squash ..... I like the carmelization that the roasting does to the squash. But frozen squash can work. I have done this with frozen pumpkin or added frozen pumpkin to the soup if I felt like the squash was too small. And don't limit yourself to butternut.......... use acorn or buttercup or hubbard if you want. Or pumpkin.

Enjoy........... its what we are having for supper!!!

Comments

girlwithasword said…
I have 3 winter squash left, and am going to use them in this recipe!!! thank you !!!
melanie said…
And I had no more left, but this recipe sounded so tempting, I went out and got one! Soup, plus a loaf of homemade bread...ummm

Popular Posts