Making cents out of your food dollars..........

I hear people complain everyday about the high costs of food. Compared to the rest of the world, we spend much smaller percent of our income on food. In fact ... since 1957 ... Americans have spent 40% less of their income on food.

So why do people claim that it is expensive to eat healthy????

In January, I'm teaching a class on how to eat healthy for less. So you are my guinea pigs. You get my theories, my recipes and hopefully, I'll get your comments and ideas.

Today --- let's start at the beginning ....... breakfast.

It is amazing how much money is spent on cereal. In 2007, Americans spent $7.2 billion on ready-to-eat cereals. Whoa!!! That's a lot of money! Of course, we did spend more on overdraft fees than we did on cereal or fresh veggies! Yes .... and those banks really did need our help!!! (Can ya hear the sarcasm??? Do I feel those bankers' pain??? Yea .... not so much!!)

But I digress..............

So I did a little price comparison at the grocery store the other day. I love running the numbers so bear with me!!! Annual costs are based on eating the cereal 5 times a week -- 52 weeks a year.

Reeses Puff Cereal ..... 12 servings were $3.99 .......... .33/serving .... annual cost $85.80

Cap N Crunch ..............17 servings were $2.99 ........... .17/ serving .... annual cost $44.20

Quaker instant oatmeal
(Peaches and Cream)
...10 servings were $2.58 .......... .26/ serving ... annual cost $67.60

Quaker Old-fashioned oatmeal .. 30 servings were $2.78 .. .0925/serving .. annual cost $24.05

And finally .......... bulk oatmeal from Amish Store/ local health food store (not organic)

.42/lb ..............................................30 servings were $1.10 ... .0367/serving .. annual cost $9.54

Those prices do not consider the cost of milk or additives (sugar/honey/cinnamon) But it also does not consider the fact that children are twice as likely to eat more than the recommended amount of pre-sweetened cereal.

We spend more money on ready-to-eat cereals than any other food product (and I'm using that term loosely!!!) other than soda or milk.

So the moral of the story is to get off the ready-to-eat cereal bandwagon. You won't be hurting a farmer .... there is less than 5 cents worth of commodities in every box of cereal.

But you really don't think you have time to fix breakfast or you can't break your kids from the cereal bowl???? Try this recipe from the Incredible Edible Egg. Even buying Miss Eff's Pretty Eggs from Pretty Chickens (I so need to trademark that baby!!!) cost...... 34 cents!

Alternate with some oatmeal, breakfast pizza, granola and you are on your way to healthy kids and a healthier checkbook. Not too shabby in anyone's book!

Comments

Dan Mays said…
I have to admit that I rarely eat breakfast. However, perhaps my favorite "breakfast food" is a freshly plucked veggie from the garden.

Just gently wash that pepper, radish (whatever) and slice it with my pocket knife. I then pull out a can of Cheez-Whiz from my back pocket and generously apply that godly golden goo.

Mmmm, Mmmm
(With all the m's standing for MANLY!)

Popular Posts