I have so far to go......................


Its just another day at Miss Eff's.  The canner and the pots of boiling water are heating up.  Why, oh why, doesn't my pantry look like this????

I have made some canning progress ........... the other day, I canned 12 pints of  Italian tomato sauce, 4-1/2 pints of catsup, 9-1/2 pints of pickled jalapenos and 4-1/2 pints of banana peppers.  Today, its another 3/4 of bushel of peaches to do.  And I did buy 10 pounds of blueberries ..... I'm thinking pie filling.

But there is so much more to do.  I haven't done any salsa.  We need more pizza sauce and catsup.  And the apples are coming on ... so there will be cider in the freezer, apple pie filling and all the apple jams and butters to do.  And there are only 15 bags of corn in the freezer .... we will need so much more.

But several have asked for a good catsup or ketchup  (however you want to spell it!) recipe.  I like this one -- I have used it for well over 20 years. 

One day, my cousin was here and we were comparing "canning lists".  I said I had done so many jars of catsup ....  so she asked to try it.  And an entire jar was eaten with a spoon!  No burger or fries were included!!

So here is the recipe I use for Thick and Meaty Ketchup (or catsup ... like I spell it!)

8 whole cloves
8 whole black peppercorns
4 whole allspice berries
1 cinnamon stick, about 3" long
1/4 tsp mustard seed
1/2 tsp. celery seed

10 pounds ripe plum tomatoes -- cored and quartered
2 large onions, coarsely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed

Tie the first 6 ingredients into a cheesecloth bag and place in a large pot with the tomatoes, onions and garlic.  Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for an hour, stirring occasionally.

Remove the spice bag and run the tomatoes through a food mill to remove the seeds and skins.  Return the pulp, liquid and spice bag to the pot and add the following:

1/3 cup cider vinegar
1 tbsp brown sugar

Simmer, uncovered for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.  Cool the mixture slightly and add the following:

1 tbsp lemon juice
salt, to taste

Can only in 1/2 pint jars for safety.  Seal in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.  Makes 4-1/2 pint jars.

(Note to the Corn Refiners Association, notice there is no High Fructose Corn Syrup in this recipe.  And people do eat it contrary to your emails.)

You guys knew I could never let that one go!!!!!

Comments

I'm sure your pantry is close Cathy!! Closer than mine! You can so many amazing things...how do you find the energy? I'm lucky to get ONE thing canned in a day. My dad had an aunt who put up over 800 quarts a year (with the help of LOTS of daughters.) Someday I'll be that inspired!
Deborah Niemann said…
Thank you so much for this recipe! Just last night I was looking through my recipes for more things to do with tomatoes. I've noticed in a lot of the Ball Blue Book recipes, they say to use "bottled lemon juice," which I don't buy. Do you know if it's okay to use juice from real lemons? Just wondering if they add some nasty preservative to bottled lemon juice, and that's really what you need to make the canned food last, or if just plain lemon juice will do the trick.
Miss Effie said…
Deborah -- the recipes have been tested using bottle lemon juice because of their consistent acid readings. Fresh lemons may not be as consistent. I know lots of people say that tomatoes are acidic and don't need the acid but after the botulism outbreak in 1974... USDA guidelines say to use it. Variety of tomatoes, soils, ripeness ... all come into play.

The little you use doesn't change the taste but another option is using citric acid. I'd have to look up the amount. But you would have that on hand and wouldn't have to buy lemon juice.

Popular Posts