Miss Eff's through new eyes.........................

When new people come to the farm, I worry about its "shabbiness".

Its old. 

We're old. 

There is nothing new or slick here.

The house needs a paint job.  The barn needs a new roof.  There are trees to cut down and chicken coops to mend.

We have no 52" big screen television.  No dishwasher.  No air conditioning.  Lots of books.  Lots of old doilies and embroidered tea towels.  Just old things cuz they work well in our lives!

I don't worry as much as I used to.  This is who I am.  Pretenses are for social-climbers and the insecure.  I am a 56-year old woman with gray hair, sun-damaged skin and residual effects of too many of Sheepie  Neighbor's chocolate chip shortbread cookies! (Damn!  Those things are good!!!!!!!)

So it was with great joy and pleasure ...... that I discovered that a city girl from New York even, got Miss Eff's!!!!   'Cept I am certain that Zan was born in a barn with the rest of us farm girls!!!!!

Zan --- you are welcome here any day, any time! 

Love ya, sista!!!!!

Comments

Barb said…
Ha! We could be twins. We have the same amount of "don't haves" as you've listed. And we do quite well without them. Our parents managed without these things and were happy. We can do the same.

Hope, hope, hope to see you in a couple of weeks.
Jen (emsun.org) said…
I don't think there is anything wrong with being REAL Miss Eff! I wish more people concentrated on figuring out who they are and being proud of it instead of trying to keep up with the Joneses. :)

There's also nothing wrong with having or not having certain things - as long as you are happy, healthy, and not hurting anyone - WHO CARES?!?

<3

I'd love to come to Miss Eff's and I sincerely hope that I get to do so this summer. I want to take pictures and blog about it and I really hope that you won't mind. :)
Miss Effie said…
Jen -- of course, I would never mind!Come on out -- I might hand you a digger and have you pull weeds with me!

And Barb -- I can't wait to meet you. We are twins in so many ways. I'm hoping for a beautiful day for you. And maybe some flowers! ;)
There is something very charming about old and your farm sounds so inviting.. I've met you already and you are as sweet and welcoming as they come. It seems God has given you the wonderful gift of hospitality. I feel truly welcome to your farm and I can't wait to find time to visit. We homeschool and are still working hard but when that is done for the summer, I'm on my way! Bringing the kids too but you don't have to worry about any accidents in the corn field :)
Unknown said…
Hey Miss Effie!! See?? It looks like more folks than ME get you!! And they should. All the electronic stuff is over-rated anyway! I think people really DO yearn for the beauty and simplicity of older times, and I think that is WHY you should make a bed-and-breakfast out of your bodacious place!

I'd pay good money and so would the city folks like me to come out. I think us slickers are all tired of all the modern hype anyway!! :)
HUGS and I miss ya!

Popular Posts