A soupy kind of day...............

Here .. on the east coast of Iowa.... we have traded the promise of spring for the miserable cold, rain, sleet, snow, wind, and hail of early March. 

It is April 20th and I have 300 flowers in the ground and 40' of onions.  Period.  That is all.  No more.

Today ... 1260 plugs of dianthus, snapdragons and larkspur arrive .... only to be placed in a make-shift cold frame until it dries out and warms up. 

They will survive.  I'm not sure about me!!!

So I went to the one place where I can find comfort during trying times .......... my stove!

Unfortunately, I have gone to the stove waaaaayyy too many times this winter so I need to lose some of my comfort layer.


Enter one of my favorite soups............... Green Salsa Soup.

Not a particularly pretty soup ... but spicy and warm and 167 calories per bowl. Truth in posting time ... I never ever ever follow a recipe.  I add a little .. taste... and add a little more.  So these are really rough measurements.

Green Salsa Soup

1/2 lb. ground pork
1 onion chopped 
2 cups low -fat chicken broth (I use no sodium chicken bullion)
1 cup of salsa verde
1 can of hominy (I soak and cook dried hominy)
1/2 tsp cumin
2 gloves of minced garlic 
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 Tablespoon corn meal
1/4 fresh chopped cilantro (which I did not add.  See second paragraph above!)

Brown the pork and the onion in a Dutch oven.  Add the remaining ingredients except the cornmeal.  When ready to serve ... add the cornmeal slowly while stirring constantly to thicken slightly.

We top it with drained homemade yogurt ... but you could use sour cream if you like.

I love this!  But I was raised on fried pork chops and hominy and this is as close as I ever will be able to get again!!

Comfort food for a particularly uncomfortable day.

Comments

Popular Posts