How to host a hen party!

It is heading toward winter.  The frost has been on the pumpkin.  My flowers are dead.  And canning season has been deemed ... over.  The "slow time" has arrived on the farm.

It is time to socialize with those friends who have also been much too busy to breath, let alone sit down and have a cup of tea. 

Yea ... it is time to P-A-R-T-E-E!


Photo courtesy of the Radish Magazine


A party???  Did I hear something about a party???

No. Not you, Edith.  You can hear your cackle all the way to Sheepie Neighbor's house!

First thing you do ..... you invite the girls.


Photo courtesy of the Radish Magazine

I tell ya!  I am so happy to get out of here.  I have cooped up here on the farm all summer!!

No, Agnes.  You are not coming!  Tamara will say something shocking and you will lay an egg!

After giving the coop a good dusting, you begin to prepare a pretty table.  After all, it is going to be a feed.



 
You make a new tablecloth out of homespun cotton fabric.

You pull out just the perfect dishes for such an occasion.

And yes ... my latest, greatest, on-the-cheap-use-what-you-own serving piece ........ a galvanized chicken feeder as a plate stand.  (Just a note ... this is 48" long ... if anyone has a 36" long one that they would like to part with ... I would love it!!!)

Wanna see another pic of it???

 I'm pretty certain Nate Berkus or HGTV wouldn't approve of my use of livestock accessories as stylish decor ... but he lives in New York city and HGTV has a much bigger decorating than I do.  And I did thoroughly scrubbed and bleached it!
And then --- you continue to work.

Susan worked on a sweater and a couple of pairs of socks.  She always has lots of projects.


   
Pam crocheted on an afghan.



Tamara, Susan and Cynthia.  Cynthia worked on a pair of alpaca socks from her own fleece that she spun.




Brenda worked on a pair of socks.  I worked on a cowl.  And Kaleigh and Emma learned the long-tail cast-on and how to purl.

And finally, you count your blessings for wonderful friends that understand that the work never ends on a farm.  It may be the "slow time" but there is always something that needs to be done.

We have chosen a HomeGrown and HandMade lifestyle.  (Hey .. this is a blatant plug for my friend and co-instructor for the Homesteading Seminar at Illinois Valley Community College for March 17, 2012!  Deborah will also be in the QCA on March10th, hosting a dairy class ... details will follow.)

So we join together .... an old mother hen like me, a couple of young chicks like Kaleigh and Emma .... for a few hours of laughter.  A little tea.  A cookie or ten. :) 

And a sense of accomplishment.  Yea .... we did accomplish something.

Comments

Unknown said…
Hey! I wanna be a hen!!

And yeah, I'm from New York and I LOVE your interior decorating ideas. Actually, Nate might, too, country is the new "in" thing!

Popular Posts