Changing Seasons ............

My life has changed so much in the last few years.

I used to have flowers and retail.

Now I have teaching and flowers ........ sprinkled by a little more teaching.

I never ever never thought that anyone would be interested in anything that I knew.  Partly because I thought everyone knew how to make a buttonhole or knead bread or can tomatoes.  To me --- it was the stuff that my life was made.  Nothing special .... nothing out of the ordinary.

Now .... from September to the beginning of May .... I spend three and four days a week, prepping for a class somewhere.  For the last few months, I have been teaching three nights a week at Scott Community College.

But my teaching season is ending for the year.  I finished my last cooking class on Wednesday. I have two more sessions in the interior design class I have been teaching.  And last night I finished my last sewing class ....... sort of.  (more about that later!)

It is the exciting/ bone-weary-tired/ frustrating/worrisome/ life-affirming season  ....... it is the growing season.

The hope of beautiful flowers fills my dreams.  I jump with excitement for the opportunity to fill the gardens with beautiful flowers and fun accessories.  Gardens that make you look deeply into them to find a beautiful blossom or a hidden surprise.

And yet .... frustration comes in the form of unpredictable weather.  Last weekend ..... I saw tight little buds on the lilacs ... ready to break into bloom in a week or so.  But yesterday morning ... a freeze took them all so no lilacs will be in bloom for May Day.

I am totally re-designing a new perennial bed with 160 new perennials in 400 square feet. After digging out nettles and hollyhocks, scrub trees and unproductive rose bushes .... I weeded, tilled, divided and planted daisies, coneflowers, beebalm, and helenium.



Since that photo ..... I have added a few more daylilies.  I have a couple of hydrangeas that need to go in and 100 white Asiatic lilies will arrive in 2 weeks and will find a home in the bed.

It still needs decorative accessories ..... it needs some pretty container plantings.  It needs birdhouses sprinkled throughout.  It needs .......... it needs ..........




It needs to look like this!!!!


http://www.hgtv.com/design/outdoor-design/landscaping-and-hardscaping/cottage-gardens-we-love-pictures


The gardens are changing this year ............. they always do.  But the look needs to be softer and fuller and over-the-top vintage.


https://www.pinterest.com/source/backyardsclick.blogspot.com.au/

I want it to feel like this!!! 

Welcoming and warm and delightful.



And I want it to inspire bouquets like this one!!!!!


http://www.projectwedding.com/photo/browse?tag=flowers+centerpiece&thumbs_page=27&photo_to_show=49824

I think I have my work cut out for me!!!!!


Comments

colleen said…
You are one busy lady!! I have no doubt that you will have a flower garden that will be beautiful and one that you will be proud of. Can't wait to see the new flower bed as the summer progresses. Thanks for all you share. Happy Gardening.

Popular Posts