Wooly Caterpillars and Winter Dreams

According to the wooly caterpillars, the Farmer's Almanac, and countless meteorologists .... we might be in for a cold rough winter. Of course, I swear they say it every year! 

Always one to be prepared, I have started winter prep. My pantries, freezers and cupboards are full. The propane is contracted. The storm windows are on. My Audible account has credits just waiting to be used. 

It is time for the important stuff. The stashing of wool. The browsing of patterns.  Cutting coupons so I can add just a bit more to the fiber budget. Ramen, anyone???? Yes ... it is time to knit.

This week's life project is creating a plan for my winter knitting.

Last winter, I spent most of my time knitting. And knitting. And knitting. From the moment I learned to knit, my mother would say "A pair of knitting needles will cure more problems than a bottle of Valium".

Although my mother's attitude toward mental health issues is highly dismissive (pull yourself out of it!!) ... she was right about knitting. The rhythemic click of the needles and the repetative motion of throwing yarn AND the daily dose of Lexapro, got me through the 20-21 Winter of Isolation.

Last winter's fiber accomplishments included a small throw,
the largest afghan I ever knit,
a pair of socks
and 4 sweaters. Okay .... 3 sweaters and a piece of cardboard in the shape of a sweater. Can we discuss felting?????? Or should that have been CUSS felting????

So now ... I am planning for this winter's knitting. 

First up on the needles ... 

This is the Autumn League Pullover. 

I have done some changes to it. It is knit from the top down ... once you get to the place you divide the sleeves from the body ... according to the pattern, everything is knit flat. Well ... I don't HATE seaming. But I LOVE the feeling of being DONE when all the knitting is completed. 

So I knit the body in the round till I reached the ribbing. The ribbing is split on the sides so I made the back ribbing a little longer than the front. And then ... I knit the sleeves in the round. Whoever decided we needed 12" circular needles was brilliant! For decades, 16" circulars were as short as you could get. I love knitting on double points but a 12" circular for sleeves is easy!

I am on the 2nd sleeve ... so after finishing the neckline ... it "might" be done shortly after the weekend. It's a wool/silk blend so a very nice weight for layering. 

Next ... is a project I wanted done for the spring of 2021. The Classic Tee sweater. 

I have Malabrigo Arroyo in Indiecita. I think the subtle shades of blues, lavenders and greens will be nice. 

And finally, I want something cozy and I think this will fit the bill! 

This is the Common Ground hooded cardigan. I think it will be perfect for a quick run to the chicken coop or curling up with a book on the sofa. 


I am leaning toward a silver gray. To make me look taller ..... you know, from head to toe. 😉

So that is my winter knitting plan. I am certain there will be some changes and additions and I just know I will need another afghan!

And I am POSITIVE I will never ever put a 100% alpaca sweater in my front load washer on the wool cycle no matter how many times I have washed cashmere. Just sayin'. 😭

Cardboard, I tell ya!




Comments

Crystal (Crystal’s Coop) said…
Hey! Loved your blog. I have a shawl I started last year. It has a trim that is giving me fits! If I can’t get my neighbor friend to help me out with it can I call on you!!! Frustrated Knitter in Illinois ��

Popular Posts